Monday, January 30, 2012

Goals for writing

Y'know, I'm not the most organized person in the world.  That honor goes to a girl I know who color-codes itineraries for weekend trips to New York City.

Lately, though, I've been setting what I think are manageable goals for myself.  Through the magic of Google Calendar, I've created tasks like "Write for 1 hour" several days a week, and it feels rather good to check those off.  A lot of times I'll sit down to write and find myself distracted by Facebook or YouTube or god knows what else.

But setting easy goals seems to help more than I anticipated.  For example, tonight I set the simple goal of "Write for 1 hour," but that was at 8:30 and now it's 10:40 and I just stopped.  Obviously, that's not going to happen every night.  I'm usually at work right now, but if I can rejigger myself to do that in the afternoon before I go into the office, it should work out nicely.

Writing is like going to the gym.  Get yourself into a routine, and it becomes easy.  Break that routine, though, and heaven help you.


Current Soundtrack
"Fast Five" by Brian Tyler

No comments:

Post a Comment